Chargebacks can happen with some payment methods even after a trade is done. This means that your trade partner can request their funds back, even after you received the payment. There are a few different things you can do to protect yourself from chargebacks when trading in the marketplace:
- Chargebacks are usually related to third party payments*. If a third party payment was sent, try to get as much information as you can about the account the payment was sent from
- Take a look at your trade partner’s feedback history before starting a trade to make sure they aren’t getting feedback about chargebacks
- If you created the offer, add tags that indicate if you accept third party payments or not.
- If the user is ID verified, ask them if they are making the payment with their verified name
- If you don’t accept third party payments and the buyer is trying to use one, ask the buyer to cancel the trade
*Third-party payments are payments made by someone who the payment method/account does not belong to.
If a buyer has filed a chargeback, take a look at this article to see what you can do.